Thursday, June 23, 2011

Blue Beaver Trail - Lookout Mountain, TN

Many years ago I hiked this trail as a Scout in the heat of July.  The Trail was founded by my Scoutmaster's father, Mr. Gutav "Gus" Geiger of Signal Mountain, TN.  When we went to hike the trail we camped out at Mr. Geiger's home.  At the time I was the Senior Patrol Leader of our Troop (284 in Florence, AL).  In prepping for the hike we looked at the map and I remember Mr. Geiger (my Scoutmaster and his father) telling me to look carefully at it.  The trail started at the old Nature Center and meandered up the side of Lookout Mountain.  Needless to say no one seemed excited to hike this in the heat.  So I looked at the map carefully and realized there were no questions to answers - only points on the trail to shoot azimuths and go from there.  Quickly realizing I could start at the top of the Mountain and shoot reverse azimuth's I would accomplish the goal of hiking the trail.  So that is what we did much to the delight of the Geiger men.  So fast were we on the hike that we extended it out another 6-7 miles to cover the overlying and longer Nolichucky Jack Trail.

The patch pictured above was designed by Mr. Gus Geiger and shows a Union "Beaver" aiming his Cannon at Lookout Mountain.  Gus had shared this design with Mr. Ken Humphreys of Shiloh Military Trails fame, who commented in a letter to Gus that "this is the best looking trail patch I have ever seen".  The originals were a swiss loom patch, colorful and hard to earn.  To many Scouts of the Deep South the Blue Beaver Trail was a real treat to hike and even greater thrill to complete - especially when you received this beautiful patch.  The trail is still active to this day.  Check it out! 

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Pages

Total Pageviews